Skip to main content

UPDATE – BURN BAN 2018, Sep 13, 2018

May contain: leaf, plant, and maple leaf


Due to the increase in fuel moisture levels, the Sheriff’s Office will lift the ban on outdoor burning at 12:00 pm, on Friday, September 14, 2018.

It is important to remember that residential yard debris and land-clearing burning are permanently banned in Coupeville, Freeland, Langley, and Oak Harbor (and their urban grown areas).

All yard debris and land-clearing burning will require a permit where open burning is allowed.  All written burn permits will be issued through the Island County Health Department.

To obtain a verbal permit for fires less than 4 feet in diameter, call Northwest Clean Air Agency at 360-428-1617, EXT 4.

To obtain a written permit for fires over 4 feet in diameter, call 360-679-7350 (North and Central Whidbey), 360-321-5111 EXT 7350 (South Whidbey) and 360-387-3443 EXT 228 (Camano Island).

Visit for additional permit information.

Recreational fires less than 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet high do not require a permit.

As always burning garbage and the use of burn barrels is illegal STATE WIDE and subject to fines than can exceed $1000.00.

If your property falls under the jurisdiction of the Department of Natural Resources, please call 360-856-3500 for burn permit information.

For air quality issues call the Northwest Clean Air Agency at 360-428-1617

Join our mailing list