South Whidbey Fire/EMS recognizes the importance of retaining well trained, experienced volunteers and career personnel, establishing and maintaining a high level of employee morale, and recognition and rewarding of the hours of service that members provide to the District and community. Community and Distict members may report acts of exceptional public service. Awards, such as Medals, Ribbons, Commendations, or Citations, may be presented to members for actions, achievements, or accomplishments, on or off duty, that reflect positively on that member and South Whidbey Fire/EMS. Awards offered by South Whidbey Fire/EMS are intended to make a strong, positive statement about the member and his/her actions.
Any member of the public may submit a nomination by completing an Award Nomination Form, available here on the District website and at the District headquarters during normal business hours, and submitting it to email@example.com.
The nominations process shall be a follows:
1. All nominations must be submitted in a timely fashion, on a nomination form, and must include a detailed and accurate account for the circumstances surrounding the act or incident.
2. The nomination will be submitted to the Awards Comittee at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. After review by Awards Committee for deliberation and a recommendation for approval, the nomination is forwarded to the Fire Chief for final approval. During deliberations of nominees for medals, the Awards Committee shall have discretion to consider the level of appropriate award.
4. Once approved by the Fire Chief, the list of awardee's shall be forwarded to the Awards Committee for award preparation.
All nominations must be submitted in a timely fashion, on a nomination form or via email (email@example.com), and must include detailed and accurate account of the circumstances surrounding the act or incident. Please review the explanations below then submit one form per member nomination (except for unit nominations).
Submit form online here: (Or printable .PDF form at the botom of the page)
• The Medal of Valor - is awarded to a member who, in the line of duty and under hazardous conditions, is confronted with imminent personal risk, but with due regard of the risk performs an act of selflessness and heroism.
• The Distinguished Service Medal - is awarded to a member who performs a highly unusual act of distinction under adverse conditions in the performance of duty.
• The Life Saver Medal - is awarded to a member who, by their direct actions, saves the life of another person.
• The Carl Simmons Award - is awarded to the Officer who performs his/her duty to the highest level of service and promotes excellence within the department in integrity with the District Vision, Mission, and Values.
• The District Firefighter of the Year - is awarded to the member who performs his/her duty throughout the year in an excellent manner, promotes teamwork, respects the chain of command, is tactically skilled, and is in integrity with the District Vision, Mission, and Values.
• The District EMT of the Year - is awarded to the member who performs his/her duty throughout the year in an excellent manner, promotes teamwork, respects the chain of command, is tactically skilled, and is in integrity with the District Vision, Mission, and Values.
• The District Rookie of the Year - is awarded to the rookie firefighter or EMT that excels throughout his/her probationary period.
• The Unit Citation - is awarded to any group of members who, in the performance of the collective duty, do so in an excellent manner.
• The Community Service Citation - is awarded to a community member who performs a high level of service to the District.
• Letter of Merit - Describe any actions by members that are worthy of recognition.
Download .PDF file here:Awards Nomination Form.pdf