Car Seat Safety Program
Did you know more than half of car seats are not used or installed correctly? Correctly used child safety seats can reduce the risk of death by as much as 71%. Car seat safety isn’t only good practice, it’s the law. We want to help keep our young residents safe! A Child Passenger Safety Technician here at South Whidbey Fire/EMS provides car seat safety checks.
Car seat checks are by appointment only, please email email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
Car seat checks can take 30 minutes or longer per seat.
Washington Child Restraint Laws
- Children up to age 2 must be properly secured in a rear-facing car seat.
- Children ages 2-4 must ride in a car seat with a harness (rear or forward facing)
- Children 4 and older must ride in a car or booster seat until they are 4’9” tall.
- Children over height 4’9” must be secured by a properly fitted seat belt.
- Children up to age 13 must ride in the back seat when practical to do so.
Is your child ready for a seat belt? We recommend taking the five-step test. Must say yes to all.
- Back against vehicle seat; no slouching.
- Knees bend at the edge of seat.
- Lap belt low across upper thighs & shoulder belt across mid shoulder.
- Feet rest on the floor.
- Remain in position entire trip.